Positive COVID-19 tests and bad weather led to canceled matches and meets this past week, further disrupting the start of this most unusual fall sports season. The Midland Wachusett league and its five divisions have been scrapped and replaced by 10 so-called “pods,” groupings that include schools within reasonable driving distance of one another and with athletic programs of similar strength, according to Bromfield Athletic Director David Boisvert. Bromfield’s varsity teams are competing with those of five other schools in a pod (Pod 5) that comprises Nashoba Regional High School, Hudson High School, Marlborough High School, Maynard High School, and Advanced Math and Science Academy of Marlborough. The six school districts in the pod are a mix of Division 1, 3, and 4 schools. A week into the season, only seven matches have been held, four of them golf matches, thanks to that team’s late-September start.
Field Hockey (0-1)
- 10/12 vs. Maynard High School, 5-0 loss
- 10/14 @Nashoba Regional High School, NA
- 10/16 @Marlborough High School (at Whitcomb Middle School, Marlborough), 4 p.m.
- 10/19 vs. Hudson High School (at Bromfield School field), 4 p.m.
- 10/21 vs. Marlborough High School (at Bromfield School field), 4 p.m.
- 10/12 @Marlborough High School, 5½-3½ win
- 10/14 @Advanced Math and Science Academy, NA
10/19 vs. Maynard High School (at Shaker Hills golf course), 3:30 p.m.
10/21 @Nashoba Regional High School (at Wedgewood Pines golf course, Stow), 3:45 p.m.
Girls Cross-Country (0-0)
- 10/14 vs. Maynard High School, NA
- 10/21 @Nashoba Regional High School, 3:30 p.m.
Boys Cross-Country (0-0)
- 10/14 @Maynard High School, NA
- 10/21 vs. Nashoba Regional High School (at Harvard Park, Lancaster County Road), 3:30 p.m.
Girls Soccer (1-0)
- 10/9 @Hudson High School, 5-1 win
- 10/15 @Nashoba Regional High School, 4 p.m.
- 10/20 @Marlborough High School (at Whitcomb Middle School, Marlborough), 4 p.m.
Boys Soccer (0-1)
- 10/9 vs. Marlborough High School, 3-1 loss
- 10/15 vs. Nashoba Regional High School, 4 p.m.
- 10/19 vs. Hudson High School, 4 p.m.
- 10/20 vs. Marlborough High School, 4 p.m.
Results are as of Tuesday, Oct. 13. For each team, the numbers in parentheses are its overall season record, which consists of games played within its pod. The @ symbol designates an away contest (though sometimes conditions require these to be played on a home field.) NA means the score was not available at press time. Future scheduled meets and games are shown through Oct. 21.
—Compiled by John Osborn